FAQ General for Zymkey

ZYMKEY - GENERAL FAQ

What are the differences between USB, I2C and RaspberryPi versions ?
ZYMKEY-I2C (RPI)
The I2C version connects to RPi header for power and communications via the I2C serial bus.
Includes perimeter monitoring, all other features the same as ZYMKEY-USB.

ZYMKEY-USB
USB version connects to USB 2.0 connector for power and communication with RPi or other host.
Features are the same as ZYMKEY-I2C, except perimeter monitoring which is excluded.

Can I use the RPI version with other I2C applications?
Electrically the ZYMKEY-I2C will interface to any single board computer using I2C.
Check compatibility with your particular Linux distribution.

Which models of Raspberry Pi is ZYMKEY compatible with?
ZYMKEY-I2C is compatible with Raspberry Pi 3, 2, B+, and is compatible with most CPU heatsinks. ZYMKEY-USB is compatible with all models of Raspberry Pi subject to available USB sockets.

How does Zymkey compare to Yubikey?
The two products serve very different and important security functions.
Yubikey’s are excellent products designed for PC & MAC platforms, providing user authentication & service access.
Zymkey is design for IoT applications, providing device authentication, TLS client certificates and other trust services.

Do I have to use Zymbit data services with ZYMKEY?
No. All of the hardware on ZYMKEY is designed to integrate with 3P data services. But we designed ZYMKEY to make security accessible to non-experts, so we encourage you to user Zymbit data services and API. If you want to low level access the hardware then please contact us.

With ZYMKEY-I2C can I still connect other devices to the RPI expansion header ?
Generally yes. ZYMKEY-I2C has a pass-through connector that, when used with an extension header, allows other RPi plates to be added.
GPIO2 and 3 must be configured to support I2C bus. Other devices can co-exist on the I2C bus, certain restrictions apply.
GPIO4 used by ZYMKEY-I2C, not available to other applications.

Does ZYMKEY work with Arduino?
We have no plans to release an Arduino shield version. While we love Arduinos and use them all the time, they generally don’t have enough resources to handle cryptographic operations at this level.

WHERE CAN I GET MORE TECHNICAL DETAILS ?
For more detailed technical questions go to this Topic