Can I actually backup my boot "disk"?

Raspberry Pi 4, 4Gb, Buster. I moved my boot disk to a Sandisk Cruzer USB. All works fine, but I’m a realist /worrier so I want to take a backup.

I normally use rpi-clone, but obviously this won’t work. I tried dd but my new disk failed to boot. Reverted to my old USB disk and all’s well.

So, can I or can’t I make a backup copy of my disk?

I’m assuming you’ve got your rootfs encrypted on the USB stick and you are booting with the /boot partition on the SD card. If that’s not the case, please let me know your setup and I can double-check that particular configuration. Are you in development mode (lock tab in place) or production mode (lock tab cut)?

I think you can dd the USB image to another USB and it should boot. If encrypted, you would never be able to see the filesystem or the copy of that filesystem anywhere other than on that particular PI with that particular SD card and Zymkey.

| Bob_of_Zymbit
September 17 |

• | - |

I’m assuming you’ve got your rootfs encrypted on the USB stick and you are booting with the /boot partition on the SD card. If that’s not the case, please let me know your setup and I can double-check that particular configuration. Are you in development mode (lock tab in place) or production mode

Hi Bob,

rootfs encrypted on the USB stick and you are booting with the /boot partition on the SD card

Your assumption is correct. I’m in development mode.