ProtoKit 4 for Pi

PROTOKIT 4 for Pi Developers

Waterproof, Integrated Protoboard, Zymbit Security Module ready

Whats Inside

ProtoKit4-A-whats-inside

This kit is designed to be self-assembled. If you require pre-assembled kits please contact Zymbit.

• IP67 enclosure, dustproof, waterproof,
  • Integrated protoboard.
  • Slot for optional Hardware Security Module for Zymkey 4i
  • Works with RPi A+, B+, 2, 3, Zero and most other flavors of Pi
  • Access to all RPi header signals.
  • Screw terminals for easy connection to external devices.
  • User assembled connectors.
  • Wall and Pole mounting options
  • Cable gland - user fitted

Assembling Your Kit

The protoboard has been designed to provide easy access to all signals on the Raspberry Pi GPIO header. Power and serial buses are also broken out to simplify wiring. A full schematic is available at the end of this section.

1 - Bare Board
Protokit4-Stack-AA
2 - Add Connectors
Solder in connectors as required. The supplied GPIO header may require trimming (underside of PCB) depending upon the height configuration you select.

• Screw terminals
  • Pi GPIO Header
  • Security Module Header (Optional)

Protokit4-Stack-A

3 - Add Security Module (Optional)
If you are using a Zymkey 4i Security Module, this is where it goes.
Protokit4-Stack-B

4 - Add Raspberry Pi
Protokit4-Stack-C

5- Place into Enclosure
Protokit4-Stack-D

6- Add Wires that Connect Externally

Protokit4-Stack-E

7- Add Enclosure Lid
Be sure to add the black seal that was provided with your kit.

Protokit4-Stack-F

Schematic of Protoboard

ProtoKit4 Schematic C

Raspberry Pi GPIO
Connector K1
Protokit4-Connections-Stack3

Zymbit Security Module 4
Zymbit security modules provide device authentication, encryption engine, secure key store and more. Learn more.
Protokit4-Connections-Stack4

Screw Terminals
Connectors ST1, ST2
Protokit4-Connections-Stack2

Proto Areas
P1 - P5 bussed to Screw Terminal ST1
P1A - P2A bussed to Screw Terminal ST2

Protokit4-Connections-Stack5

Power Rails 5V, 3V3
Protokit4-Connections-Stack6

Mounting Holes to Enclosure
Protokit4-Connections-Stack7

Integrating Zymkey 4i perimeter detect circuits into ProtoKit >

[Learn more >](http://Perimeter Detect - Application Examples)

IP67 Enclosure Ratings

The enclosure is rated for the following ingress protection.

IP6x Solid particle protection

• Dust Tight - complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow.

IPx7 Liquid ingress protection

• Immersion, up to 1 m depth. Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).

For further details on IP ratings refer to wiki/IP_Code.

Cable Gland Fitting

If your kit did not come with a pre-fitted gland then follow these instructions to fit a ½" 14 NPT threaded gland.

• Drill a ¾ inch diameter hole in the desired location.
  • Tap with a ½ inch - 14NPT for tight seal.
  • Screw the gland directly into the case, seeling with a washer or suitable glue.
    (Note there is no room for a backnut)

* Zymbit offers factory fitting for quantities > 50 units.

MOUNTING OPTIONS

Panel Mounting
This enclosure can be mounted directly to a wall or flat surface using two self tapping screws.

Pole Mounting
This enclosure can be easily mounted to a pole using a pole mounting brackets available from the Zymbit store.

Customize Graphics

Its easy to add a professional look to your project with laser printable labels:

• Industrial, waterproof, UV resistant, laser printable labels are available from Avery® Product #60502.

• Download a pre-configured Zymbit artwork template here. (SVG file)

Hi
I don’t really understand how to use the Perim_1, Perim_2, Perim_1_PU and Perim_2_PU holes. Could you give us some examples or ideas about how to put a perimeter detection system thanks to this pin?
I can’t see any connexion with the USB connector of the zymkey, so I can’t see how to use the 4 holes (perim_1 etc.) to detect a breach.
Maybe the idea you had when you design the PCB was to solder the wires of the USB male cable on the board of the protokit and connect the USB cable into the zymbit after?

By the way, could it be possible to have a better quality of the “ProtoKit4 Schematic C.png” file please?

Thanks by advance!

For Zymkey 4i, the intended use case is for customers to connect to the perimeter circuits using a microUSB cable plugged directly into the microUSB connector on Zymkey 4i, per the instructions here

Some customers have done as you have suggested, and soldered the wires of USB cable directly to the four holes on the protokit PCB. This allows them to patch out the signals and experiment with different types of perimeter circuit design: some use switches, others a custom PCB on the lid, others an external (to the enclosure) perimeter circuit.

Would it be helpful if we offered a perimeter detect lid ? so that you did not need to design you own ?

Well, I think it could be useful (in general) to give more details or examples (use cases) about all the possibilities of your systems :slight_smile:
Thx for your answer!

Message received - we will get some examples posted on the community next week.
In the mean time we will send you via email a few customer specifc examples that we are able to share.

Hi,

I wanted to buy some ProtoKit enclosures, but when I click on “Buy Now” in this page nothing happened :frowning:
https://www.zymbit.com/protokit4/

Please tell me that you are still producing some of this devices? Maybe there is a possibility to buy many of them (10 or 20) by contacting you for a special order?

Thx by advance

Yes we are still make the ProtoKit4. Currently its on back order (and we are in the process of transitioning our webstore to another platform which might be why you cannot see it).

Try accessing directly from here: https://www.zymbit.com/product/k-41-0000/

Do you have a shareable Eagle file by chance?

Are you looking for a schematic ?

I was hoping to find a cad type file to work off of to build out my circuit. I see the schematic on the docs page, but was hoping a cad file existed that was shareable. I understand if there is not.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike, generally we don’t share the PCB CAD files. That said, we are always open to input from customers on how we can better serve them. If you’d be willing to share which of the following features are of value to you, then we may be able to revisit your request. (You can also email us at support@zymbit.com, if you prefer a private channel).

Which of the following features of ProtoKit 4 do you value ? :

• The waterproof enclosure
  • The protoboard integrated with enclosure
  • The Integrated security module
  • The physical tamper security
  • Other - please explain

Thanks !

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the response. I was mainly looking for something that would allow me to virtually design my circuit as opposed to physically designing first. I am working with the protoboard/enclousre. I only have some basic connections that I have to make between the raspberry pi GPIO and a field device, which I am utilizing all 30 terminals of the ST connectors on the protoboard. I was just hoping that I could draw my layout up on the PC before I did it on the actual board.

I appreciate your response but please don’t go out of the way to provide something that isn’t already made. I have already built out my first protoboard physically and probably won’t deviate from what I did with future iterations.

Mike